Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Interning at Juicy

On May 24, 2010, I arrived at 1115 Broadway to embark upon a journey that I wasn’t sure what to expect from. I still hadn’t come to terms with whether or not I was imagining the whole thing but once I stepped foot onto the 8th floor and signed my name, I knew it was real. From that moment on, it has been nothing less than that: real. Each day that I go to Juicy, I leave a little less naïve, a little more informed and a lot more zealous than the day before. The learning process began immediately and I realized that I had to constantly keep up with the entertainment websites and celebrities if that was the field that I wanted to work in. I was happy that it wasn’t the clichéd internship of getting coffee and making copies that I heard so many complain about but that I was actually doing things that I would have to do in the future when I pursue my career in the magazine industry. I have had to do a lot of in depth research to find out information such as the timeline and events of Alicia Keys and Swizz Beatz’s relationship. Through each little detail I found, I realized all the work that really goes into making a magazine and I was truly inspired. People probably always imagine that it must take a lot of work and research to produce something like a magazine however, you never truly understand until you have done it. Those experiences alone have given me more insight into what it is really like to contribute to the production of a magazine and has driven me even more to want to do it. After doing some of that research, my editor asked me if I still want to work in the magazine industry and my answer is now more than ever. Interning at Juicy, I have also attempted writing captions which I learned was not an easy task and while I struggled at it, I realized I want to challenge myself to become better and persevere. When people ask me about my internship and what I do and I tell them, they seem almost amazed that I am actually getting to do things that are relevant to my future career goals and aspirations and I couldn’t be happier that I am. All the tasks that I have done while working here, even down to making folders for press releases have made me see how much I can envision myself doing these things in the future. My editor is always giving me advice and tips that are nothing less than invaluable and I’m determined to work harder and stop at nothing because this is the industry that I desire to be in. She also often asks me questions about things that I am doing and my future career goals that makes me reflect on myself and realize more and more how much dedication I have to put in to be in this industry. This journey and these lessons are not over yet but so far I have learned more than ever and experienced more than ever and not just about the magazine industry but about myself as well. Every dat at Juicy, I feel like I am closer to my dreams and now instead of just being dreams I feel that they are possible if I put in the effort that I have been inspired to do from working here. Every moment is helpful and relevant and I don’t think that I could ask for anything more in an internship.

No comments:

Post a Comment